Updated: 06 July 2015
Please contact Jim Adams if you have obituaries, death notices, or other information on the passing of family members.
Word has been received of the death of John Chester Adams. John was the son of Clarice Ann (Nemmers) & Dr. Uriah Mason Adams, MD and grandson of Roxanna Arvilla (Bent) & Horace Chester Adams.
Word has been received of the death of Rev. Canon David Cameron Adams. David was a 7th cousin to Jim Adams and kept us in touch with the "Canadian Connection".
Search Niles Public Library Obituary Database
Are we going to lose the Social Security Death Index?
following obituaries were compiled by Kathy Linderholm, a descendant of
Jane Woods (McKain) & Uriah Mason Adams. Unfortunately, AOL
eliminated their webpages without notice and I am in the process of
reloading this information. If you have obituaries of any family members please contact Jim Adams so that we can have a more complete family history.
-- Thanks to Kathy Linderholm for her work in preserving the family
history! Unfortunately, AOL eliminated their web sites without any
notification. I am in the process of reloading this information to this
website. PLEASE NOTE: The original Adams-McKain Family Reunion website is no longer being updated!
Cemetery Records (from index of book by Corwin and Castle) Uriah M. and
Jane M. Adams, Francis & Dorothy (Adams) Morse is no longer an
active link. Please go to the Cemeteries page for additional listings.
Thomas McKain (1818 - 31 July 1897) The McKain obituaries can be found on the McKain page.
Jane Morrow McKain (25 February 1816 - 28 June 1897)
Thomas & Jane (Morrow) McKain had 8 children:
1. Allen McKain (1839 - 07 February 1893) married to Mary (d. 18 May 1928)
2. David McKain (1842 - 1908) married to Sarah Essington McKain (Parts of the obituary are missing. If you have a copy of her obituary please send it to Jim Adams)
3. James McKain (1845 - 1916). In the 1833 Directory for Pavilion Twp.,
Kalamazoo Co., there is a James McKain listed. In the petition for
Probate of the will of James McKain filed by Elvira Gant (village of
Decatur) is the following information:
James McKain made his will on
29 July 1912, and died 08 March 1916. Mentioned in the will (in addition
to Elvira Gant) are two brothers, William McKain, 51 of Decatur, and
Joseph McKain, 54 of Detroit and two sisters, Esther Copley, 65, of
Decatur and Mary Kinney, 68 of Oshtemo. Arthur L. Moulton and Isaac B.
Bagley were the witnesses (and both died before the will was probated.)
Farmed near Decatur, Van Buren, MI
From the Marcellus News
(3-16-1916): "Mrs. George Adams attended the funeral of her uncle, Mr.
James McKain, at Decatur Saturday." (NOTE: the 16th was Thursday, that
would make the funeral the 11th)
4. Jane Woods McKain (02 January 1847 - 22 February 1913) married to Uriah Mason Adams (02 November 1832 - 05 July 1900)
5. Mary McKain (12 November 1847 - 27 November 1929) married to Nathan
S. Kinney (09 March 1844 - 1927). Mary was a school teacher before her
marriage to Nathan Kinney.
6. Nathaniel Joseph McKain (08 November 1851 - 21 November 1940) married to Norah Taylor
7. Esther McKain (1852 - May 1927) married to Edward Edwin Bennett Copley. Edwin & Esther moved to Decatur in 1892
8. William McKain (1856 - 1923) married Clara Guilfoil
Jane Woods McKain and Uriah Mason Adams had 6 children:
1. Effa May Adams
(28 February 1866 - 10 February 1954) married George W. (Alford) Adams
(28 January 1859 - 13 February 1941). Notes from Jack Adams: My
grandfather, and Hazel's father, was born George Washingon Alford, Jr. After being taken in by Franklin & Lucinda Adams in the early 1860's he, or someone, changed his name to Adams.
His father was George Washington Alford,
Sr. (Killed at the battle of Port Hudson, LA in 1863). His mother was
Ann Maria Stewart, daughter of John Windecker Stewart and Nancy Wales
Rathbone. John & Nancy came from Steuben Co., NY with Ann Maria and
at least three other children about 1850 to Kalamazoo County.
George Washington, Sr. was the son of William Alford and Martha Ann McCullough, daughter of Dr. Patrick McCullough
and Mary Hamilton, both from Scotland. They settled in Ontario, Canada.
William came from NY state and married Martha when she was 14 years
old. In 1837 William became mixed up in the McKensie Rebellion in Canada
and prudently left the country, settling in Kalamazoo County. William
died in 1849, and in 1854 Martha married John Windecker Stewart.
William & Martha had 14 children, seven lived to maturity.
- Eliza Jane Alford (11 Nov 1830 - 25 Feb 1901) married John Albert Musselman (17 Nov 1824 - ).
- George Washington Alford (1831 - 28 July 1863) married Ann Maria Stewart (11 Oct 1837 - 22 Oct 1864)
- Robert McCullough Alford (1833 - 1853)
- Mary Maria Alford (1835 - March 1848)
- Abigail Hannah Alford (08 May 1836 - 18 May 1918) married William Wallace Lewis
- Sarah Anna Alford (12 July 1837 - ) married William A. Green. They had a son, William Franklin Green.
- Idena A. Alford (1839 - 1839)
- William Henry Harrison Alford (29 March 1840 - 27 Nov 1924) married Mary E. Fuller. They had a son, Clyde Rudolph Alford
- Esther Louisa Alford (1841 - ) married George Washington Green. They had a son, George Washington Green.
- Martha A. Alford (1843 - April 1853)
- Freelance Maria Alford (1844 - 1848)
- Frances G. Alford (1846 - 1848)
- Helen Caroline Alford 07 June 1847 - 15 Dec 1924) married John William Slack. They had a son, John William Slack.
- Joseph Franklin Alford (1849 - 1849)
Martha & John had one child, Mary Vista, she died as an infant.
Stewart died in 1888 and was buried in the Liberty Street Cemetery in
Kalamazoo County. Later, his wife, Nancy, who was buried on the Snow
farm was moved to Liberty Stret and placed next to John. We are pretty
sure that the Snow's that owned that farm were kin to Mildred Snow Adams
Morse. Why Nancy was buried there no one knows at this late date.
2. Horace Chester Adams (10 September 1868 - 11 June 1953) married Roxanna Arvilla Bent (12 July 1876 - 07 July 1963)
3. Archie Leonard Adams (10 July 1871 - 11 May 1944) married Lillie LeBarr Douglas (14 December 1874 - 31 March 1974)
4. Mary Calista Adams (21 November 1875) married Claude P. Sykes (17 October 1871 - 16 October 1949)
5. Mason Clarence Adams (25 December 1877 - 04 June 1928) married Pearl Eisenhower (31 March 1883)
6. Dr. Ross Uri Adams (02 June 1883 - 29 September 1943) married Grace Elizabeth Daly (04 March 1896 - 27 September 1974)
Effa May Adams & George W. (Alford) Adams had 4 children:
1. Harry Alford Adams (09 August 1891 - 24 February 1947) married Marian Elizabeth Saunders (12 February 1897 - 17 September 1974)
2. Helen Mabel Adams (29 June 1895 - 23 June 1977) married William Leon Kunce (08 March 1897 - 08 December 1976).
3. Hazel Grace Adams (14 July 1897 - 06 November 1995) and Claude Amasa Lewis ( 12 May 1886 - 11 June 1958). They had a son, John "Jack" Keith Adams ( 05 Oct 1921 - 06 May 2007) and a daughter Jean.
4. Hyldred Eunice Adams (22 December 1900 - 09 February 1985) married Carroll Irving Gale (16 November 1895)
Henry Harrison Alford 29 March 1840 - 27 November 1924) married Mary E.
Fuller. They had a son Clyde Rudolph Alford. WILLIAM H. ALFORD, aged 84
years, died at the home of his son, Clyde Alford, in Texas Township,
Thursday morning at 11:00 o'clock. He leaves, besides the son, one
sister, Mrs. Gunn of Watervliet, and seven grandchildren. The funeral
will be from the Truesdale's chapel, Sunday at 2:00 o'clock. Burial in
Horace Chester Adams & Roxanna Arvilla Bent had 3 children:
1. Dr. Uriah Mason Adams married Clarice Ann (Emma) Nemmers
2. Leslie Bent Adams married Mildred Snow
3. Dorothy Marie Adams married Francis Morse
William Alford (d. 04 August 1849)
Mrs. Caroline (Webb) Kinney (30 June 1833 - 21 December 1909)
Franklin Bildad Adams (11 January 1828 - 04 June 1910) was a brother of Uriah Mason Adams
and married 1st (23 October 1850) Lucinda Fletcher (12 April 1830 - 10
May 1879) and married 2nd (15 March 1881), Anna Fletcher (20 February
1856 - September 1946)
Franklin Bildad Adams (findagrave.com photo & obit)
Lucinda Fletcher Adams (findagrave.com obit & photo) daughter of Thomas & Barbara (Ulery) Fletcher.
1. Franklin Bildad and Lucinda had 2 children:
a. Horace Hale Adams (27 September 1857 - 08 April 1860)
b. Clara Lucinda Adams (28 January 1859 - 28 February 1946) married Dudley L. Thornton (06 January 1860 - 1943)
2. Franklin B. and Anna Fletcher had 2 children:
a. Franklin Kinney Adams (09 October 1882 - 12 October 1955) married
(1) Josephine May Burhans (22 September 1884 - 27 April 1944) on 31 Jan
1907 in LaPorte, IN. He married (2) Josie M. (Bates) Baldwin in 1947 in
Lawton, MI. She was previously married to George F. Baldwin on 11 Aug
1901. She was the daughter of John & Carrie (Towers) Bates.
b. Horace Herbert Adams (21 July 1884 - 06 December 1976) married Iva Woods (21 July 1886 - 09 November 1968)
This page is maintained by Jim Adams of Door County, WI (USA)
Contact Jim Adams with family information, obituaries, letters, diaries, pictures, etc. for
inclusion in the family history.