Villages and Towns
Updated: 21 July 2016
Please contact Jim Adams if you have interesting facts, photos, personalities, etc. to add to this page.
Cass County (One city, Dowagiac; 4 incorporated villages, Cassopolis, Edwardsburg, Marcellus, Vandalia; 15 townships)
Wakelee -- Tom Cox has been collecting historical material on early Wakelee. See the Marcellus News, 04 October 2012 on page 2.
Village of Marcellus
Village of Marcellus, Michigan - An Affectionate Review of its Life and
times over the past one hundred years. Centennial 1979.
George Henrich, Village President. (See his obituary in the 02 May 2013 Marcellus News, "80 Years Ago" on page 6. )
at Wikipedia. The site of the village of Marcellus was owned by Hiram
Pulver until 1869, when the Pulver farm was purchased by George W. Jones
(grandfather to Carroll B. Jones & Donna V. (Jones) Schurtz). The
village was laid out and platted in 1876 and the old Peninsular RR came
through in 1871. George W. Jones, Leander Bridge, David Snyder, and
George Roach were the original signers of the first plat of Marcellus.
Marcellus (City Data)
thanks to the Marcellus News & Carroll B. Jones for the series of
articles, "Tour of Marcellus - 1940 - 1979" by Father Time (Carroll B.
Jones). 15 Sept 2005, 29 Sept 2005
A & P Grocery Store. Charles Zanger, Mgr.
Abbott & Powers Agency, Inc. 144 East Main St. Hazen Abbott, Robert Powers, Carroll Rimes, Terry Roberts. Previously the Boyd Horton Grocery Store.
Annex Theatre, owned by Elmer Reigle.
Anthony's Restaurant -- 1930's
Berry's Restaurant -- 1930's
Burney's Store. The first real store in Marcellus.
- 115 E. Main St. Wayne, Dave, & Jim Carlton. 1939 - present.
Previously Patch Hardware (Frank W. Patch). Wayne Carlton started the
business in 1939 and his sons have continued.
Building -- 1876. Housed the old "Opera House" upstairs. Early
Marcellus basketball games were played in the Opera House. Built by Dr.
Horace Carbine and Dr. McElrath who were the first doctors in Marcellus.
Chapman Forge & Engine Works - 1898 - ?. Herman L. Chapman invented the Emery Grinder.
Citgo Gas Station -- Chet Emmons, Prop.
Clark Hice's Sports Shop.
Columbian Hotel 20 July 211 article. Photo
of proposed rehabilitation 18 Aug 2011. At one time: the Marcellus
Apartments, a rest home (Haas?), Frank & Bertha Hasbrouck's Hotel,
Country Jeans -- Clothing store run by Richard
Green. Formerly a dairy bar, then a restaurant operated by Clare
Stanard, also Ellery Bates and at one time was named the "Zesto Grill".
Coy Kent's Law Office. The building was demolished 06 June 1963. The lot was purchased by D.V. Schurtz.
Cozy Cupboard. 130 West Main St. George Pangborn (1960s). The
restaurant was started by Carl Flanders and later owned by Clara Clark.
Established by Howard L. & Lillian M. Cree in 1945 - 1965. Original
location where Jones Law Office on Main Street is located. Later moved
to M-40 North. Incorporated with original "Cree" name in 1973. They had 3
daughters: Susan, Dotty Lou, & Lois Ann). See John Mooy's "The True
Book of Mostly Unrelated Stories, 23 May 2013 entitled, "Memory of a
Cree Coach" on page 3 of the Marcellus News.
Daniel's Shoe Shop. Gerald & Betty Daniels, owners. The building was formerly occupied by the Elkhart Organ & Piano Co.
Decker's Barber Shop - Began in 1898. Charlie & John Decker.
D.H. Palmer Hardware
Market. Ward & Lowell Drake. March 17, 1960 Marcellus News:
"Centennial Block Sold to Drakes. One of the largest exchanges of real
estate in Marcellus for many years took place last week when Ward &
Lowell Drake purchased the building known as the Centennial Block from
the Clark Tribbett Estate. The property, located on the corner of Main
and Centre Streets in Marcellus, houses three active businesses -- the 5
& 10 cent store, barbershop and a TV and Radio Repair Shop. The
fourth business place is the former Marcellus Locker Plant, which has
been closed since last summer. The Centennial Building dates way back
and many old-timers can remember the many activities which took place in
the second floor hall, such as dances, programs and high school
basketball. The Drakes, who are presently operating a grocery and meat
market on Main Street, said this week that tentative plans call for
moving of their business int the new quarters in the near future."
Supermarket operated by Dave Zoppa. Previous owners were Bill Higgins.
Previously the A& P Grocery Store managed by John Brucker. The rooms
above were occupied by the Marcellus Masonic Lodge No. 291 F & AM
with Frank Townsend serving as Worshipful Master.
Railway Train Depot -- Closed in 1974. Last agent was Larry Lee. Other
agents were: Byron Hibbard, Max Davis, Bud Streeter.
Gravel Lake Mobilehome Beach. Owned & built by Charles Allett of Kalamazoo, MI. Opened in 1962 next to Sandy Beach.
Green's Used Car Lot -- Terry Green. Formerly a parking lot for the Dairy Bar.
Greta's Beauty Shop. Previously Bert McDonald's cream station.
Harris 5 & 10. Also J & K Variety Shop.
Harry's TV Sales & Service. Harry Zelasko
Hartman's Golf Driving Range opened in 1962 by Don & Jean Hartman on M-216.
Cafe. Sam & Hedy French opened the cafe 09 Oct 1962 at 145 East
Main St., the building was formerly used by the Marcel Beauty Salon.
Hepp's of Marcellus Department Store. 1958 - . Harley & Virginia Saidla.
Drug Store -- 1920 to ? Run by Charles M. Ingersoll, Sr., Charles M.
Ingersoll, Jr. and later Richard Charles Ingersoll. Charles Ingersoll,
Sr. purchased the drug store in 1920 from Claude Miller.
Jones Exchange Bank -- The oldest continuously operated business in
Marcellus (1877 - present). Under management by the Jones family. The
drive-in began in 1978 and was the site of a filling station previously.
Dr. Harold Rose had his dental practice upstairs and Dr. U.M. Adams, MD
had his family practice there until he moved it to 218 S. Jones St.
Webb, & Jones Law Office -- Carroll Jones, Cordell Jones, Burke
Webb, Donald France. In the 1950s a garage was located in the east lot
and west lot was used by Cree Coaches.
Frank Krieger's General Store. Across from the laundry on M-40 north.
Kroll's Emporium, department store owned by George W. Kroll (later Hepp's)
Little Switzerland, opened in 1961
Loft's Feed Store & Cream Station. Gordon Lofts.
St. Shell. Bill & Arlene (Lofts) Miller. Previously a Texaco
Station run by Frank Reiff. Also Paul Harms & Fritz Parsley.
Marc Theatre -- Grand opening on 05 April 1963. Showing "If A Man Answers" with Sandra Dee & Bobby Darin.
Marcel Beauty Salon. 145 E. Main St.
Marcellus Convalescent Home --
Marcellus Co-Op -- Later Farm Bureau Services, Inc. managed by Larry Fosdick.
Depot. 1898 to 1974. Larry Lee was the last station agent. Others were
Byron C. Hibbard, Max Davis, & Bud Streeter.
Locker Plant. Clark Tribbett. The old Opera House was upstairs.
Basketball games were played there prior to the building of a gymnasium
at the high school.
Marcellus Milling Company. The grain tower
still stands with a mural done by Debby Holloway of Chief Pokaman and
"Poke's Rock" and Poke's Swamp. The mural shows Mrs. Lansing Fonda
Poke's Rock was located on the property owned by Carl Buckhold and Donna
V. (Jones) Schurz's father, C.S. "Kit" Jones bought the rock in 1900
and had stone masons cut the rock to be used to build his house. Willaim
Bainbridge did the sandblasting and base painting preparation for the
mural. Work began in June of 1976 and took 100 gallons of paint and 200
hours of painting by Debby Holloway. The mural was completed in time for
the Bank's centennial in 1977. Ron McAdam restored the mural in 1997
and sealed it with a clear coat in 2012.
Marcellus News. "The Only Newspaper In The World That Cares About Marcellus". Don Moormann. Established in 1876.
Mater Funeral Home. 111 E. Main St. operated out of the home built by his uncle, Oscar R. Romig.
Construction, Leslie "Stubb" Melville & his brother John purchased
the Hayes Hotel & Tavern on Big Fish Lake in 1945. Also the Stubb
Melville dance band.
Murray's TV & Radio -- Lloyd Murray, Prop.
Northrup's Service Station -- E. Main St.
Romig Company furniture store -- Oscar Romig & later John Mater.
Oscar Romig started the business in 1912 working for Mr. Walters. John
Mater, a nephew of Oscar Romig continued the business.
D.H. Palmer's Hardware --
Pantale's Nip n Tuck Tavern (or was it the Dip & Dunk?)
Patch & Remington Hardware
Railroad. The depot was located on the east side of the track, about
opposite the Marcellus Coal Yard and Ice Co.'s Yard. I.M. Smith was the
first railroad agent and telegraph operator.
Pep's Place -- Jim Pepperman. Previously Carl's Bar, George Koehler's Tavern.
Poorman's Blacksmith Shop. Located on the west side of the marsh, west
of the Jess Palmer place before there was a village of Marcellus.
Pork Chops Diner -- ?
Dick Reish Radio & TV --
Lunch. Zoe Rimes. Previously Carl Pantale's & Fred Wheaton. At one
time the old First State Bank. The safe may still be in the building.
Roberts' Plumbing & Heating. Paul Roberts & Gary Roberts
Romig Funeral Home -- Later Mater Funeral Home (John & Bill Mater). Currently Ralston-Mater Funeral Home.
Ross Theatre. Ross Thayer.
Dr. David Schroeder's Dental Office. Previously the C.C. Long Grocery Store, Dr. Robert Mulvihill's dentist office.
Stern & Co. this marks another milestone in the business career of
one of Michigan's oldest and most successful department stores - a store
of which Marcellus can be justly proud. They celebrated their 57th year
in business in 1931. Marcellus News, 16 April 1931. Predecessor to
Hepp's. 1874 - 1958. Sol Stern, Al Moses, Julius Stern, Leon Moses. "The
One Price Department Store"
'76 Center and Nostalgia Shop. An antique & amusement center. Formerly J & K Variety Shop and Harris 5 & 10 Store.
Gas Station -- Bill & Arlene (Lofts) Miller. John Dimmick purchsed
it in the late 1940s and was at one time occupied by a Texaco station
run by Frank Reiff. Other proprietors were Paul Harms & Fritz
Sinclair Service Station & Tire Shop -- Jinx
Saidla. Later purchased by the Farm Bureau. Located on the SE corner of
Main & Burney.
Southside Grocery - where the kids stopped after school. Al & Maxine Burleigh.
Bert Streeter's Optical Shop.
Stroz Auto Body -- Joe Stroz, Prop. Between the Shell station and South Side Grocery on Burney St.
Terrill's Market - Bus & Pete Terrill.
Tony's Sales & Service, Tony & Marian Kandlstorfer. HVAC business on Read St.
Van's TV -- Glenn VanValkenberg.
Virginia Theater, across the street from the Annex Theater.
West Park Landscape Co., George M. Huber, Mgr., E.G. Bond, Asst. Mgr. (1930s)
Wild Patch Restaurant -- Paul & Sandy (Wiseman) Janing, Prop.
Eli Wintrode, Barbershop.
G.P. Worden Furniture
Art Wright's fur and wool buying business. Now a parking lot next between the Methodist Church and the Bank drive-in.
Dr. Uriah M. Adams, MD. Practiced medicine in Marcellus from 1930 to the mid-1980s.
Mr. Baldwin, the first Village Marshall.
Vaughn A. Bartlett
Herman L. Chapman, inventor of a portable forge, inventor of the Emery Grinder & bolt cutter. Chapman engine.
Colborn, former Village President. (1927 - 2011). Drafted by Chicago
White Sox & played in minor league system (1949-50, '52)
Howard L. Cree, founder of Cree Truck Coach in the 1940's. He built his first coach in 1947 for Luther Batt.
Bud Fuller, Police Chief
Byron C. Hibbard
Charles H. & Alice (Huyck) Hudson, merchant. Left funds to build the Hudson Memorial Building.
Charles Monroe Ingersoll. The father & son ran the Rexall Drug Store from 1920 to ?
Oliver H. Jensen, teacher, coach, Superintendent
Carroll B. Jones, attorney (Jones Law Firm) and bank president (G.W. Jones Bank)
& Bill Mater -- ran the Romig Funeral home in Marcellus until
2012. See the Thursday, 28 June 2012 issue of the Marcellus News for
part 1 of the story of the Romig & Mater Funeral Home.
Lucille &"Stubb" Melville, owner/operator of Melville's Tavern, Melville's Excavating & Melville's Campground.
Don Moormann, editor & publisher of the Marcellus News.11 July 1925 - 29 July 1999. See the August 5, 1999 issue of the Marcellus News for memorials & tributes.
John Mooy, author of Once Upon A Mail Route and Once Upon A Time In A Small Town.
Oscar & Jennie Romig -- undertaker
Harold Rose, DDS. Had his practice on the 2nd floor of the G.W. Jones
Exchange Bank as did Dr. U.M. Adams before he moved his practice to
Arnold "Arnie" Schten, longtime columnist for the Marcellus News
Donna V. Schurtz. President of the G.W. Jones Exchange Bank
& Martha (Patch) Shaw. Harry was an undertaker with the Romig
Funeral Home & the Patch family owned the Patch & Remington
Hardware Store. Harry died 01 January 1977 at the age of 67.
Shillito. His home later became the Romig Funeral Home and the residence
of John & Florence Mater. (See photo in the 26 June 1947 Marcellus
Joe Stroz -- Joe had an auto repair shop on the east end of town near the train depot on Burney St.
Townsend -- Moved to Marcellus in February 1952. Postmaster fro March
1956 - November 1986. Charter member of the Marcellus Lions Club in June
1970. Marcellus VFW member since 1953. A member of the Masons since
Elmer Walter, undertaker.
Art Whitenight, Marcellus Fire Chief who retired in 1962 after 32 years of service.
Eli Wintrode's Barber Shop.
George Zabelka, 1st pastor of St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church. Said
Mass & gave communion to the crew of the Enola Gay prior to the
dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. Later became a pacifist
and anti-nuclear activist.
Harry Zelasko, owner of Harry's TV Sales & Service on Main St.
Van Buren County
(4 cities, Bangor, Gobles, Hartford, South Haven; 7 villages,
Bloomingdale, Breedsville, Decatur, Lawrence, Lawton, Mattawan, Paw Paw;